Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 7 replies To this message.

Author Topic: Who feels that Grass Fed is better than USDA Certified Organic
Click to reply to this message
  TX BAR ORGANICS
  Red Bluff
Who feels that Grass Fed is better than USDA Certified Organic    (Posted Sat, Mar 3 '12 at 05:55 UTC)

I was just wondering how many people think grass fed beef is better for you than grass fed usda certified organic beef? Does everyone know the difference? Does everyone know about the global animal protection agency? (Gap Certification)

Look Forward to your imput

Kind Regards,

Travis
www.txbarorganics.com

TX BAR ORGANICS www.txbarorganics.com travis@txbarorganics.com
 Shari
 Beryl UT
Re: Who feels that Grass Fed is better than USDA Certified Organic    (Posted Sat, Mar 3 '12 at 09:25 UTC)

I can't speak to the comparison, but I can tell you that we butchered a range cow (part Corriente, part Jersey, part Longhorn), at just over 4 years old. She had given us a heifer calf and then failed to re-breed.

We hadn't really expected much meat from her, but got 452# of meat that included her rib steaks and tenderloins, with the rest being ground. She had quite a bit of intramuscular meat, but wasn't anywhere near normal beef conformation.

She was fed 100% alfalfa over the 3 years we had her. The meat was very dark red, and the flavor full. She was also surprisingly tender. Compared to the store-bought 18 month-old beef, we felt she had much fuller flavor, tenderness that compared to the store-bought, and probably a lot more nutrients.

Four Country Gals, the ONLY Certified Organic Produce farm in SW Utah. Also custom-raised lamb and rabbit available.
 SFF
 Union
Re: Who feels that Grass Fed is better than USDA Certified Organic    (Posted Sun, Mar 4 '12 at 12:50 UTC)

I'm raising a couple Jersey steers this year totally on pasture and hay with free access to minerals. My farm isn't certified organic but we follow ethical practices. So in my eyes grass fed is just as good as USDA cert org.

Diversified, Sustainable, Ethical Micro-farming
 farmer.boy
 Huntsville
Re: Who feels that Grass Fed is better than USDA Certified Organic    (Posted Mon, Mar 5 '12 at 02:26 UTC)

To my understanding USDA organic simply regulates the inputs. If a substance is on the "approved" list it can go into an organic product. Thus whatever they approve can be fed to your animal. It does not regulate where the animal lives.
An honest grass fed, grass finished beef will be raised and finished on pasture. No grain is used, even though organic grain is "approved" for organic beef. All our cows eat is grass (or hay during the off season). The grass is not fertilized with any chemical inputs. Contrast that to usda organic which can be raised on a concrete pad and fed organic grain or grain/hay and labeled "grassfed organic". With the wiggle room in the NOP you really don't know what you are getting unless you know your farmer.
Stanley

TX BAR ORGANICS
 Red Bluff
Re: Who feels that Grass Fed is better than USDA Certified Organic    (Posted Tue, Mar 6 '12 at 01:59 UTC)

Stanley you are on point with all of your claims about USDA organic. There are a few things that I would like to inform you about in regards to being USDA organic that you did not mention. In order to be USDA organic the cattle are not allowed to be injected with any antibiotics or growth hormones. The cattle that fit in to the grass fed category are allowed to be injected with growth hormones and antibiotics throughout their whole life. That is one of the main differences between USDA organic and grass fed beef. See with our cattle you get USDA Certified , 100% grass fed certified and Gap certified. This means our cattle are third party verified that they are not injected with any growth hormones or antibiotics, they are 100% grass fed and grass finished and all verified that they are humanely treated though out their entire life. Gap certified stands for the global animal protection agency which is a third party verification that indicates that the cattle are free to roam and graze their whole life, they are not allowed to be choked or mishandled with a lasso, they are not allowed to be shocked with cattle prods, or mishandled and squeezed in a hydraulic chute, can not be kept in corrals or concrete slabs, can not be over crowded when transported and can't be transported over 50 miles. So when you buy our cattle you know where it was coming from, how it was handled and you can be assured that what you are eating was never fed grain or injected with any antibiotics or growth hormones through out the animals entire life. I hope this information has been helpful to everyone

TX BAR ORGANICS www.txbarorganics.com travis@txbarorganics.com
 Bob V
 Kent, NY
Re: Who feels that Grass Fed is better than USDA Certified Organic    (Posted Wed, Mar 14 '12 at 06:39 UTC)

I agree with TX BAR ORGANICS

We are 100% Grass Fed and USDA Certified Organic by NOFA-NY Certified Organic, along with other organizations we belong to. We have inspections by different agencies and our hay crops and soil is subject to random testing.

My documentation clearly proves my accountability.

When it comes to which is better "Grass Fed vs. USDA Certified Organic, I would think having it checked by at USDA certifying agent would out weigh someones verbal statement.

I am proud to show my credentials to anyone who asks to see them.

Bob

Bob V
 FarmToBike
 Steamboat
Nutritional differences    (Posted Tue, Dec 4 '12 at 02:34 UTC)

Its my understanding that when you feed a cow (bovine) grain, whose nature is to digest grass, you alter their chemical make up. To the meat eater this means you get drastically less nutritional value in the from of Omega-6 fatty acid. A grass fed animal on the other hand, contains high levels of the beneficial Omega-3 fatty acid that is marketed today as an expensive (to the oceans via over fishing, and to the wallet) supplement.

Grass fed > USDA Organic

beefgrazier
 LaCenter
Re: Who feels that Grass Fed is better than USDA Certified Organic    (Posted Mon, Feb 4 '13 at 03:09 UTC)

One of the best advantages of all grass fed beef is that it has significant levels of conjugated linoleic acid, a beneficial fatty acid found almost exclusively in the meat and milk of grassfed ruminants like cattle, bison, goats and sheep. Research in 1998 found that conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) can prevent the onset of diabetes and may have some advantages over diabetes-fighting drugs. Previous studies showed that CLA also can prevent the onset of certain types of cancer and reduce the number of mammary, skin and stomach tumors in laboratory animals. With moderate exercise, CLA has been shown to improve body composition, reduce body fat and increase lean muscle tissue. CLA has been shown to be a powerful anti-carcinogen at relatively low levels. It has also been shown to exhibit other positive health effects, providing enhanced immune function. At dietary levels of 1 percent, CLA caused substantial (30 percent) regression of established atherosclerosis. This is the first example of substantial regression of atherosclerosis being caused by diet alone. All of these benefits were unknown before CLA was accidentally discovered in 1987, and all are good reasons to allow cattle and other ruminants to graze the all-forage diets they have naturally evolved to eat rather than feeding them grain.

Knowledge is more useful than information.