Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 15 replies To this message.

Author Topic: Organic Beekeeping
Click to reply to this message
  Dani
  Church Hill
Organic Beekeeping    (Posted Sun, Sep 24 '06 at 01:27 UTC)

I've been organically beekeeping for a little over a year and it has worked out wonderfully. Anyone who is interested in learning more can go to www.thehealingpath.com

Hilda
 eris
 seattle
Re: Organic Beekeeping    (Posted Mon, Oct 9 '06 at 11:17 UTC)

While I applaud what you are doing you might want to be warry of using the "O" word. Unfortunately, since that word is owned by the government who has decided that each organic bee yard have 45000 square acres of wild and/or organic land, what you are doing is not "Organic".

Dani
 Church Hill
Re: Organic and Antibiotic Free/Pesticide Free Beekeeping    (Posted Wed, Jan 10 '07 at 07:41 UTC)

Eris, I simply wanted to help anyone interested in treating their bees with Wintergreen, goldenseal, etc. (which is what has worked for me) as opposed to antibiotics and toxic pest strips. I really have no way as most don't of keeping 3 kilometers of organic land unless our wonderful government would be so generous to give that to me along with their supposed requirement. If you would be so good as to cite where and what law/code of organics you are referring to I would appreciate it.

Hilda
 WV Lavender Hill
 Crab Orchard
Re: Organic and Antibiotic Free/Pesticide Free Beekeeping    (Posted Fri, Feb 2 '07 at 08:23 UTC)

""I really have no way as most don't of keeping 3 kilometers of organic land unless our wonderful government would be so generous to give that to me along with their supposed requirement. ""

As I study more about the subject, soon there won't be any "untouched gov." land .. for the last few years they have been putting on the heat to irradicate anything that they might be consider a invading species for ALL LIVING species, (pretty scary considering that people are a living species).
They have been passing laws like crazy to regulate every living thing under the guise of "potentiantly" invasive species on public lands as well as private lands, and how do they erradicate these "living species"? by chemical means, with help from the major chemical companies.
For instatnce there is a herb that lends health to cancer patients, yet is pretty much harmless, now in some states it is illegal to even grow in your home for your own health, or even own the seeds. I found it strange because it's been known in usa for 100's of years and may even be a native plant and only grows wild in areas that have been badly disturbed with very acid soil, it is a good indicator of your soil plus adds amendments to the soil, it is also food for an endangered butterfly, other butterflies, bees and birds.
It has been used for hundreds of years probaly even thousands of years as a seasoning and in small amounts as a food, and as a tea for health. But if you grow it in your garden, you are a criminal as if you where growing drugs or something, so if someone is in treatment for cancer and wants to use this as an additional nutruint they have to pay big bucks out of state and take the chance that there not even getting the right nutruint, as far as I have found, it does not choke out any other plant species but grows where others won't, yet it's very close relative that doesn't have health value is left untouched and in fact is more abundant and grows much larger.
I got off subject, because I'm mad about it, anyways so if your an organic farmer and someone sees an "invasive" or "banned" plant, they can report you, even if you don't know it's there. and the gov can come and spray your land with chemicals, then bill you for thier work as well as fine you for each plant on thier list. and yes there is jail time included in these laws.
If the plants are in a national forest they can now go and spray the plants with chemicals. so as the new laws are being passed, even a claim to beekeeping and/or growing near a national forest may not be a good thing in some states, I always had comfort that our national forest where cleaner and more .."virgin", but anymore it looks like that will be changing.
Another thing is that since the majority of the honey bees where introduced to the states and not 'native", I'm afraid that they will be irradicated as well, many of the new laws now in some states demand/require that all hives are registered. It would be awlful if only huge corporations with tons of money could afford to grow a plant or keep bees etc. because of all of the new regulations slipping in under our noses. I am all for some regulation for truley invasive and dangerous species, yet, these new laws are realy sounding more like another country .. not America, to find more information about this, google, 'invasive plants" "plant white list" 'banned plants", it's pretty interesting and some of the wording in the new laws give way too much power, as well the wording "all living" is scary since humans are living, and so are our pets etc., There are also wording about bee hives, maybe I'm being silly to be concerned... maybe not.

WV Lavender Hill Farm mixing love of nature, mountains and plants into the place I call home.
 Pocket Meadow Farm
 Portland Oregon
Re: Organic Beekeeping    (Posted Wed, Jan 10 '07 at 08:20 UTC)

So true!

But there's a lot of information out there for beekeepers who want to use more natural means of mite control. And the more the merrier! We need more beekeepers breeding mite-resistant AND productive stock.

Pollination & Hive Products http://www.pocketmeadow.com NW Oregon
 WV Lavender Hill
 Crab Orchard
Re: Organic Beekeeping    (Posted Tue, Jan 23 '07 at 11:24 UTC)

I think what your doing is great!! how is it working out?
I understand that it is impossiable to have organic honey especialy with even an airplane flys over and it's fumes drop on the plants... I supose you can say that with all farming, we all share the air and water... some being in cleaner areas than others, is helpful, I know because I've grown same stock in different states at the same time being planted within the same week and seen a huge difference.
whatever you can do to make a better product is great...keep up the good work.
Also, if a field is planted on organic land with organic fertilizers etc but is next to a highway or a road or even an airport.. is it still organic? if they use treated water supply ... with chlorine and flouride.. is it still organic? those are good points to consider.

WV Lavender Hill Farm mixing love of nature, mountains and plants into the place I call home.
 Dani
 Church Hill
Re: Organic Beekeeping    (Posted Fri, Feb 2 '07 at 07:42 UTC)

I'm glad to see there are so many people using alternative methods for beekeeping. It has been working out fine but I won't know for sure for a couple more months. I've kind of been using the Lazy beekeeper method. Last year I though I lost one of my hives because I removed the black tar paper too soon and we had another freeze. I think that when you add chemtrails and jet fuel into the mix there is almost no possibility of anyone claiming to raise crops/livestock organically unless you are living in a bubble. I do not sell my honey and in my case, is as organic as I need it to be. We don't live on a main road and have well water and natural springs.

We have serious issues here. One that needs to be addressed is how to raise and protect your crops and livestock from the toxic soup of bacteria, viruses and chemicals they are spraying on us daily. With that said, we definitely need to find a sustainable way to deal with it. There has got to be a better way than buying plastic to cover my soil and keeping plastic over crops. Maybe someone can put that subject up on the discussion board. Best regards.

Hilda
 Sandee
 Shelbyville
Re: Organic Beekeeping    (Posted Thu, Feb 1 '07 at 08:56 UTC)

In order to use the term Organic, especially when it comes to products that you sell to the public, you must be extremely careful. See my post at Natural VS. Organic on this forum. Bees are a particularly slippery slope as you must control their pollen gathering. That is why the distance parameters seem so vast. Although, I don't think its as large an area as was quoted on the earlier post. If you have a genuine interest it is contained within the NOP( National Organic Program ) guidelines. The regulations are very specific, but I don't think they involve jet airline emissions, once again this is why it is so important to be informed. If we don't know these things we can't tell the general public and they may lose interest if we can't satisfy their curiosity.

Earth's Promise Farm
 Pond digger
 Rockwood, TN
Re: Organic Beekeeping    (Posted Wed, Jan 16 '08 at 10:08 UTC)

Since the USDA only approves an organo-phosphate treatment for varroa mite control, it would be impossible to have real organic honey under their rules and regulations. Bob Dylan said it years ago-to be an honorable person doing the right thing means you have to be an outlaw. (or words to that effect)
We use a powdered form of oxalic acid (found in spinach, chard and rhubarb) to treat mites which is not USDA approved, but safe for bee and honey stores.
Farms using diesel engines would be hard pressed to claim organic status as they are filthy polluters. We all suffer from air pollution, no matter where we live. All we can do is not be part of the chemical / petroleum problem and treat the bees as if they mattered, which of course they do.

Living & teaching sustainable, Earth-friendly agricultural practices.
 sugarbush
 lexington
Re: Organic Beekeeping    (Posted Wed, Jan 30 '08 at 01:41 UTC)

The reason that honey cannot be organic certified in this country is because we have no control over the sources of the nectar that the bees are making the honey from.

A colony will collect nectar from plants 4 miles or more from the hive and maybe those plants are some crop that was sprayed with a pesticide or fertilized so the nectar the bees are collecting is not organic.

I have seen rainforest honey certified as organic, but I think even that would be questionable.

There are many beekeepers who keep their bees treatment free, and most are very careful about not using organic and honey in the same sentance.

quinnquinn99
 uk
Re: Organic Beekeeping    (Posted Mon, Feb 4 '08 at 12:06 UTC)

Hi,
Organic food production is based on a system of farming that maintains and replenishes the fertility of the soil. Organic foods are produced without the use of synthetic pesticides and fertilizers. Organic foods are minimally processed to maintain the integrity of the food without artificial ingredients, preservatives or irradiation.

Organic food really tastes better than other food. Natural and organic food not only tastes better than mainstream supermarket fare. It can also serve as a "supplement" to your health insurance policy, protecting you from developing heart and lung disease, Alzheimer's disease, a weakened immune system and inflammatory diseases like arthritis. For more information on organic food, products and environmental issues, ?[url=http://www.organicauthority.com/health/health/antioxidants-and-organic-foods.html]read more about organic food... [/url]

http://www.ninjagreens.com/
 Frank Egan
 Busch, Arkansas
Re: Organic Beekeeping    (Posted Thu, Dec 18 '08 at 07:16 UTC)

I've been organically beekeeping for a little over a year and it has worked out wonderfully. Anyone who is interested in learning more can go to www.thehealingpath.com

Hi Dani,

New to the forum and way late on your post from long ago, but hey, I'm not new to the topic of organic/biodynamic farming or beekeeping. I tripped over the healing path a couple years ago and like you found it very useful, especially the various bee plants. I think they all went to bee heaven though. Seems they fell off the edge of the planet.

Most of the respondents are correct in that organic honey doesn't exist and cannot be NOP certified. Take a look at http://www.naturallygrown.org/ and see if the possibility exists to certify under their framework.

In addition, see the forum here for more "organic" issues regarding bees
http://www.biobees.com/forum/index.php Within the forum there is a component
that addresses some of the issues that you seek here.
http://www.biobees.com/forum/forum-7.html

Hope this helps.

Frank Egan
Skyranch Vineyard
Certified Naturally Grown
Organic and Biodynamic (uncertified)

ConnieL
 Hubbard, TX
Re: Organic Beekeeping    (Posted Sat, Mar 14 '09 at 03:22 UTC)

Timely topic for me. I'm hoping to enter the wild world of beekeeping soon but also had planned to get my organic certification for our farm, at least the veggies we grow.

I am soooo glad to find out there is a way to treat bees for the mites other than the antibiotics I read about in "Beekeeping for Dummies." I really worried about that as I thought it sounded a bit tricky to keep from contaminating your honey. Besides I would just rather not resort to that if there is another way.

Thanks a million for the info before I made a lot of mistakes.

Connie

Lord, that we may live more abundantly...
 ConnieL
 Hubbard, TX
Re: Organic Beekeeping    (Posted Sat, Mar 14 '09 at 03:31 UTC)

Well, how disappointing. I went to the Organic Beekeepers site linked above. Every time I tried to sign up for something, I got a "Page Not Found." Is the group gone off the internet already?

I really wanted the info, darn!

Connie

Lord, that we may live more abundantly...
 downs232
 DuBois
Re: Organic Beekeeping    (Posted Tue, Mar 17 '09 at 02:15 UTC)

First off I want to applaude all of you who are trying to maintain quality through natural means of beehiving, as we are learning it is more and more important to the survival of our food harvesting. I am working with my daughter on a science project about honney bees and was wondering if any of you could help me out? I would like to take her to a bee farm so she can see first hand how they work, etc.. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Abigale

Abigale
 Chickenhouses
 Archer
Re: Organic Beekeeping    (Posted Tue, Mar 17 '09 at 02:31 UTC)

My husband has 6 bee hives and he enjoy them very much. Also helped us big time with out taxes. Can't wait for the honey this year yummy

Fertilized Chicken Eggs for Sale|Chicken Egg Incubators