Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 4 replies To this message.

Author Topic: Question about bees.
Click to reply to this message
  Indydude
  Peru
Question about bees.    (Posted Sun, Jul 26 '09 at 07:50 UTC)

Hi beekeepers. I have a issue with bees in my garden. I love them and certainly need them for pollination and am glad they picked a spot by the gardens to have a colony. My issue is they are living in the ground. We noticed them coming and going into a hole in the ground. Its a small hole.
The bees are normal looking honeybees. Is it normal for them to have a hive in the ground? Is there honey in the dirt?

Let it grow
 farmer.boy
 Huntsville
Re: Question about bees.    (Posted Mon, Jul 27 '09 at 06:42 UTC)

I think they are not honeybees. Do you know what a yellow jacket looks like?
Stanley

nature1
 Scarborough
Re: Question about bees.    (Posted Tue, Jul 28 '09 at 04:49 UTC)

These sound not like honey beees but rather yellow jackets. I mistakenly thought they were a bee until I got stung by them and learned they were yellow jackets.

jcb
 Rene
 Bordentown
Re: Question about bees.    (Posted Tue, Jul 28 '09 at 06:22 UTC)

They get very "angry" in late summer and if you ever step on one in bare or flipflopped feet, ouch. I would recommend handle with care and avoid the area or take your chances.

Old Soul Farmer
 Ann Arbor
Re: Question about bees.    (Posted Wed, Jul 29 '09 at 04:57 UTC)

Interesting post as I just learned something about this. We have yellow jackets in the ground and I really do not like stepping on these things as they are MEAN. But, my neighbor told me the following and it seems to have worked: put some jelly or honey near at the entry to the hive (on the ground). The ants will find it. Then, the ants will smell the honey within the hive and move in to take it. The bees will vacate. I'm not sure if they move the larvae or not but they move to a new location as it is not a safe spot to incubate their larvae with all of the ants moving around. We haven't eliminated the yellow jackets but they are about 1/10 the # as before (4 days ago). I'm going to do another application and see if they move out completely.

My neighbor said she's had luck with bees but wasps are a bit more tenacious.

Another interesting note: I had a grad student out to study cabbage moths. She was catching the females for study and said we have relatively few compared to other farms and thought that possibly it is because we have the wasps "which pick off the butterflies".