Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 7 replies To this message.

Author Topic: Looking for Meat Rabbits
Click to reply to this message
  Panchito
  Glendale
Looking for Meat Rabbits    (Posted Wed, Jul 29 '09 at 07:59 UTC)

I am looking for meat rabbits in the Cincinnati/Tristate area. NZW's, Flemish Giants, or whatever sort of meat rabbit. I'm looking to start raising rabbits, chickens, ducks, etc., here in Cincinnati. If you have connections for me, please let me know.

Thanks,

Panchito

bamille
 Kirklin
Re: Looking for Meat Rabbits    (Posted Fri, Sep 11 '09 at 11:32 UTC)

I would recommend that you check the website of the American Rabbit Breeders Association (ARBA) for a rabbit breeders' association local to you or individual breed associations who can direct you to breeders of your preferred breed. Also, Bass Equipment is a great source for cages, wire, and hardware. Flemish Giant is really too big to be an efficient meat breed - Californians and New Zealands are the most efficient and most utilized meat breeds. I recommend researching the many meat breeds first (the breed associations are most helpful) as there are many breeds with wonderful attributes. The American breed needs help to save it from extinction, Cinnamons & Champagne D'Argents are beautiful in my opinion. I hope this helps! :) Good luck!

Old Soul Farmer
 Ann Arbor
Re: Looking for Meat Rabbits    (Posted Thu, Feb 25 '10 at 06:17 UTC)

My uncle raises meat rabbits - he's been doing it for 40 + years and is also a rabbit judge. He's in Paulding. Send me a message if you want more info.

Panchito
 Glendale
Re: Looking for Meat Rabbits    (Posted Thu, Feb 25 '10 at 06:34 UTC)

Yes, I'd appreciate it if you could hook me up with your uncle. I'm just starting out with the meat rabbits, and could use all the advise I can get. Is he in Michigan, or Ohio?

Frank

Panchito
 Glendale
Mixing breeds    (Posted Thu, Feb 25 '10 at 10:03 UTC)

Any thoughts on mixing Californians with Flemish Giants? Any advantage there? Also, have you seen the German Giants that are shown on YouTube? They are HUGE, nearly the size of a 5-year old boy!

Ohiorganic
 Eaton
Re: Looking for Meat Rabbits    (Posted Thu, Feb 25 '10 at 03:20 UTC)

Pachito,
are you on the Cincinnati locavore list? they have been discussing rabbit farms and it seems the only one in the greater Cincy area is in northern KY. Though when I think about it, King and Sons, where we take our chickens offers rabbit at their farm store (or did the past 7 years-I have not been up there in 2010). They are up by Greenville, OH

Paulding is in north western Ohio, about 4 hours from Cincy on US 127

Lucy Goodman Boulder Belt Eco-Farm Eaton, OH http://boulderbelt.blogspot.com http://www.boulderbeltfarm.com
 Old Soul Farmer
 Ann Arbor
Re: Looking for Meat Rabbits    (Posted Thu, Feb 25 '10 at 06:42 UTC)

Hi - my uncle's name is Lowell Trausch. If you google him, his name and number will come up (I did it last night just to check things out). There's a rabbit show at Michigan State University on March 6 - there are probably some near you as well. And as I think Lucy said, Paulding is in NW Ohio. I don't remember the breed he specializes in right now but he's raised most of them over the years. Good luck -
Jennifer

Panchito
 Glendale
Re: Looking for Meat Rabbits    (Posted Fri, Feb 26 '10 at 04:54 UTC)

Thanks for the tips. I found out there's a rabbit show near here on the 7th. I may try to contact your uncle as well.

Panchito