Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 7 replies To this message.

Author Topic: Naturally Grown Rabbits?
Click to reply to this message
  Victory Farmer
  Gentry Arkansas
Naturally Grown Rabbits?    (Posted Mon, Jan 25 '10 at 02:07 UTC)

If someone wanted a "naturally grown" rabbit, for fryer/eating purposes, what would that entail? Mine are cage raised at the moment fed pellets and hay.

On the subject of rabbits, how do you worm them? I don't think mine are wormy but I notice wormer medication available for every animal in the world but rabbits.

Shawnee's Homegrown Creations. Lovely naturally grown Berkshire pigs and more in Gentry Arkansas (NW Arkansas)
 SlowMoneyFarm
 Nauvoo
Re: Naturally Grown Rabbits?    (Posted Wed, Feb 24 '10 at 12:53 UTC)

Some pasture rabbits in an ark type arrangement but there are challenges...it takes longer of course plus rabbits dig and will get out. I've heard more success using hay than pasture but both would be workable.

As for wormer many breeders use a very small (pea sized) amount of Safeguard but that is not 'natural' or 'organic'.

Hope this helps some.

Investing in a Taste of the Country
 Ohiorganic
 Eaton
Re: Naturally Grown Rabbits?    (Posted Wed, Feb 24 '10 at 02:44 UTC)

for "Naturally" grown there would be nothing for you to change as there is no definition of "Natural" (Do not confuse this with Certified Naturally Grown which dies indeed have standards and an inspection and certification system). But if you want to raise the rabbits organically you need to make sure the feed you are feeding is free of all medications and GMO's If you are buying something along the lines of Purina Rabbit chow you are feeding a medicated and GMO product to your bunnies and you will have to find something else to feed.

You also will have to get them outside on pasture

Lucy Goodman Boulder Belt Eco-Farm Eaton, OH http://boulderbelt.blogspot.com http://www.boulderbeltfarm.com
 Victory Farmer
 Gentry Arkansas
Re: Naturally Grown Rabbits?    (Posted Wed, Feb 24 '10 at 07:16 UTC)

Thank you for the information. I am feeding Purina to the show stock but I'll check the label on the other's regular feed because those are the rabbits we're eating and I'd rather they not be medicated if possible. Are there certain ingredients I'm looking for that will mean 'medicated' on the tag? You know how they give things names people have not typically ever heard of before.

Shawnee's Homegrown Creations. Lovely naturally grown Berkshire pigs and more in Gentry Arkansas (NW Arkansas)
 SlowMoneyFarm
 Nauvoo
Re: Naturally Grown Rabbits?    (Posted Wed, Feb 24 '10 at 10:46 UTC)

Where is the medication in Purina? Do you have a source? It must be listed according to FDA standards for feed. It says nothing about withdraw times nor do I see medication listed.

Investing in a Taste of the Country
 Old Soul Farmer
 Ann Arbor
Re: Naturally Grown Rabbits?    (Posted Thu, Feb 25 '10 at 06:14 UTC)

If you raise rabbits on pasture, would it be possible to line the bottom of the pen with chicken wire or 2 x 4" welded wire to keep them in? I would think after a day or so the grass would turn up to grow. Do you know how the "pasture raised" rabbits are kept?

Victory Farmer
 Gentry Arkansas
Re: Naturally Grown Rabbits?    (Posted Thu, Feb 25 '10 at 07:08 UTC)

Well what started me thinking about it was first wild rabbit tastes so much different than domestic just like wild hogs taste different than domestic - which is largely diet,, the wild diet. Then because I lacked a pen at one point I put our buck out in a 10x10 portable chainlink dog pen out on the grass. He has LOVED it, and has never once tried to escape over the past several months. I move it occasionally to keep him on fresh ground. No digging whatsoever. So I thought Hmmm, I wonder if I could put the weaning age bunnies on grass for a while before butchering them? See if they taste better (domestic rabbit meat being bland). I have not done that yet but I do plan to try it when I get babies. I've read the issue with rabbits on grass is they get worms. I don't doubt that but so far my buck has remained as fat and sleek and healthy as he always was with no evidence of worms. I am digging hard to find a natural wormer (like vinegar for chickens) but no luck yet.

Ohiorganic
 Eaton
Re: Naturally Grown Rabbits?    (Posted Thu, Feb 25 '10 at 03:24 UTC)

My mistake, there are no medications in the feeds but they are made with GMO grains which most people who are looking for organic/natural meats do not want. I know when I buy meat that is not certified organic that is one of the first questions I ask-is the feed GMO. If it is, I find another source for that kind of meat. I am lucky, in my area I have a lot of choice.

Lucy Goodman Boulder Belt Eco-Farm Eaton, OH http://boulderbelt.blogspot.com http://www.boulderbeltfarm.com