Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 5 replies To this message.

Author Topic: resources for developing a market?
Click to reply to this message
  Tod
  Ashland, Ohio
resources for developing a market?    (Posted Thu, Oct 4 '07 at 12:12 UTC)

Does anyone know of any particularly good resources for how to develop a rabbit meat market?

I live in north-central Ohio and have never seen rabbit meat offered in any stores or restaurants.

Thanks,

Tod

Ashland, Ohio

JDM111
 Mooresville
Re: resources for developing a market?    (Posted Mon, Feb 25 '08 at 01:15 UTC)

The big problem with why they are not sold in the stores is the problem with inspections. to be sold in most stores they need to be certified. At this point there are very few operations that are large enough to be profitable to sell to a slaughter house. There are a couple there in Ohio that do slaughter rabbit. I am not sure what their outlets are though. If you want to see the listings join the PRMA and they will list where the slaughter houses are.

Jeff mArshall

Jeff Marshall, proprietor of Marshall's rabbitry. Where business is hopping
 ConnieL
 Hubbard, TX
Re: resources for developing a market?    (Posted Sun, Jan 11 '09 at 11:43 UTC)

Jim, what is PRMA? Can you post the link? We're in TX and interested also.

Thanks.

Lord, that we may live more abundantly...
 Mmeats
Re: resources for developing a market?    (Posted Thu, Jan 15 '09 at 10:05 UTC)

Check with your state Dept of Ag on your inspected processing plants. We are a small state inspected locker in Minnesota & process them for local farmers who sell at Fram markets ect & we purchase form 4-h kids for a local German restaurant who put it on the menu this year and it was a hit.

Tod
 Ashland, Ohio
Re: resources for developing a market?    (Posted Sat, Jan 17 '09 at 05:11 UTC)

Thanks for the replies, fellows..

Connie, I googled PRMA and learned that it stands for Professional Rabbit Meat Association.

http://www.prma.org/

Unfortunately the web page doesn't look too well-worn and many links are out of date...

Tod

Farm Stories
 Grand Junction
Re: resources for developing a market?    (Posted Fri, Nov 20 '09 at 04:28 UTC)

I tried to go to the PRMA website also and it was completely down.

We are looking for processors for rabbits, especially one that is USDA inspected. (Also confused by the voluntary part of the inspection rules for rabbits if anyone can clarify). I'm sure that many others are in our situation. Our farm is in SW Michigan, about 35 miles from Kalamazoo. The demand is there. We are willing to invest in production if we can find this part of the equation exists within a reasonable distance from us. If anyone is aware of one, please let us know. I remember seeing a link awhile ago for one that was family owned and did poultry and rabbits and was also inspected, but I lost the number.

Thanks,
Mike Murphy
Farm Stories
FarmStories.org

Mike Murphy Farm Stories www.FarmStories.org