Not logged in, login or create an account

There are 17 replies To this message.

Author Topic: Looking for White Cornish Chickens
Click to reply to this message
  Ron at SPI
  Benson (Pomerene), Arizona
Looking for White Cornish Chickens    (Posted Mon, Oct 22 '07 at 05:21 UTC)

Everyone knows about the Cornish/Rock broiler chicks are the offspring of white cornish roosters and white rock hens.

White Rock chickens are easy to find, but I can't find any place that sells full sized, not bantam, white cornish chickens.

I want to work on hatching my own broiler chicks.

Anyone know someone who sells hatching eggs or chicks?

Ron

Broken Lariat Ranch
 rosysage
 Delmar
Re: Looking for White Cornish Chickens    (Posted Mon, Oct 22 '07 at 09:47 UTC)

Hi Ron,
We found a breed which we think is far superior to the cornish rock cross . They were grown at a horse loggers farm in Vermont . They were a cross from a company in Pa. called Ridgeway? What I liked about them is they were amazing foragers as well as very compact birds. They also would not break down like the cornish crosses . We are going to try them next season .
I need to find their name .
I can send a digital photo of them as well as the movable pen and fencing they used on very hilly terraine . I can also send a photo of our tractors which light and have tin on half of them to provide weather protection . We keep a rooster and 5 hens in one tractor and move it once/day in a horse pasture . We have three tractors.You can e-mail ()me off list if interested in seeing the photos . If you have photos of your system I would like to see them too. I can't quite visuallize how your system works:)Sharon

Sharon Carson
 Ron at SPI
Re: Looking for White Cornish Chickens    (Posted Mon, Oct 22 '07 at 09:52 UTC)

Hi Sharon

I saw several responses from you on other threads. I don't have any photos of my pens, but I'll see about taking some tomorrow, If I can remember.

I am a tipical man, forget to do things sometimes

Ron

Broken Lariat Ranch
 SueNH
 Wentworth
Re: Looking for White Cornish Chickens    (Posted Sat, Oct 27 '07 at 12:34 UTC)

Ideal has standard red laced cornish, white bird with red edging on feathers. I don't think it would take too much fooling around to breed the lacing out. I was planning on going that route in the spring. I've seen pale red birds dressed out and the spots from melanin aren't even really noticeable. Only my black birds had noticeable spotting from pigment on their skin. Didn't bother me much because I knew exactly what it was but a city person might get squeamish. Actually since the pigment issues are negligible on the pale red birds it might be a small advantage with a small home/farm flock. Might as well have something pleasant to look at.

Ron at SPI
Re: Looking for White Cornish Chickens    (Posted Sat, Oct 27 '07 at 07:33 UTC)

Yes, Ive seen the Red laced Cornish chickens in several hatchery pages and catalogs as well. And since they would be bred with White rocks, the chicks might favor the pure white coloring of the white rock hen, the red laced coloring of the cornish rooster, or paybee end up being a sex linked trait when those breeds are crosse.

That was the route I was thinking of taking if I was unable to locate a pure white cornish rooster.

I would be interested to hear of your experiences and results.

Must say I agree with you though, other than the cosmetic reason for favoring white chickens over colored feathered chickens for broilers, the colored feather birds are prettier to have walking around the yard. But then, thats cosmetic too

Ron

Broken Lariat Ranch
 rosysage
 Delmar
Re: Looking for White Cornish Chickens    (Posted Sat, Oct 27 '07 at 08:12 UTC)

Hi Ron and All ,
When I spoke with the owner of Reich Poultry form PA on the phone, He said they had the large Cornish roosters . Call him to check on that or to order a catalog. :)Sharon

Sharon Carson
 Angi_H
 Hanford
Re: Looking for White Cornish Chickens    (Posted Mon, Oct 29 '07 at 10:41 UTC)

You should also look into the Cobb X . To me they are far better then the cornish crosses. They have bigger brest and dress out faster then the cornish. I get my hatching eggs from a place for 15.00 a doz including shipping. Let me know if you would like the info. I am getting 54 eggs tomorrow for december game hen and bigger size to sale. As well as they will breed true if you keep them on a diet and then breed them.

Angi
HHH Farms

Angi HHH Farms Hanford Ca Heirloom Tomatoes and Veggies Farm Fresh Chicken. Turkey, Duck and Quail eggs. Indian Runner Duck, Royal Palm Turkey, Black Mottled turkeys, Dark Cornish and Coturnix Quail hatching eggs for sale Turkey's, poults, Chicks, c
 Ron at SPI
Re: Looking for White Cornish Chickens    (Posted Mon, Oct 29 '07 at 07:17 UTC)

Where do I look into the Cobb X? I have never heard of them before.

Ron

Broken Lariat Ranch
 Angi_H
 Hanford
Re: Looking for White Cornish Chickens    (Posted Fri, Nov 2 '07 at 09:11 UTC)

contact evansfarms1972 at yahoo dot com that is the person who sales the hatching eggs. Google Cobb Chickens and you will find info on them. I will never go back to the cornish crosses for meat birds after having the cobb.

Angi

Angi HHH Farms Hanford Ca Heirloom Tomatoes and Veggies Farm Fresh Chicken. Turkey, Duck and Quail eggs. Indian Runner Duck, Royal Palm Turkey, Black Mottled turkeys, Dark Cornish and Coturnix Quail hatching eggs for sale Turkey's, poults, Chicks, c
 Ron at SPI
Re: Looking for White Cornish Chickens    (Posted Fri, Nov 2 '07 at 10:07 UTC)

I did a google search for cobb chickens, and got a slew of recipes.

Do you have a wep page address for info on evans farm and or cobb chickens?

Ron

Broken Lariat Ranch
 Angi_H
 Hanford
Re: Looking for White Cornish Chickens    (Posted Sun, Nov 4 '07 at 08:48 UTC)

Ok here is a few links.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/focus/cobb/7/cobb-vantress-primary-broiler-breeders
http://www.worldpoultry.net/home/id2205-31613/cobb_700_broiler_breeder_setting_new_standards.html
http://www.phoenixpoultry.com/products/Products.aspx

I hope this helps. Just this year they came out with the Cobb 700 this is far supperior then the cornish cross. Also the ones from evans farms if you put them ona diet they will breed and hatch pritty true.

Angi

Ron at SPI
Re: Looking for White Cornish Chickens    (Posted Sun, Nov 4 '07 at 10:54 UTC)

OK, but what hatcheries sell the Cobb 700's

Ron

Broken Lariat Ranch
 Angi_H
 Hanford
Re: Looking for White Cornish Chickens    (Posted Mon, Nov 5 '07 at 09:03 UTC)

The first link has a link to the company. Where you can find where the local distributors and hatcherys are. Also if you contact Mckinely Evans at evansfarm1972 at yahoo dot com they have hatching eggs for the cobb. Just do not feed them as rich of diet and you can use those for breeding. Or you can feed them the broiler diet and they will be ready to butcher in 8 weeks for 5 to 6 lb birds. Or 4 to 5 weeks for Cornish game hen size. I will have hatching eggs from these late spring next year. As well as a dark cornish cross hatching eggs and chicks

Angi

DebbiesQual
 Ontario,Canada
Re: Looking for White Cornish Chickens    (Posted Tue, Mar 4 '08 at 10:27 UTC)

I have been getting Cobb X's for a few years and find them very easy to raise and the poulets will lay almost every day. I kept a couple back, but a weasel got them. But they had been laying just about everyday for a couple of months. My question is what breeds develop the Cobb X ? Thanks.

Ron at SPI
Re: Looking for White Cornish Chickens    (Posted Wed, Mar 5 '08 at 09:49 UTC)

I am not sure which breeds were used to come up with the Cobb chickens, but apparently, the parent company of the company that developed them is Tyson, the chicken giant.

Ron

Broken Lariat Ranch
 Frantzou
 Elizabeth
Re: Looking for White Cornish Chickens    (Posted Thu, Jul 1 '10 at 04:02 UTC)

>Everyone knows about the Cornish/Rock broiler
>chicks are the offspring of white cornish
>roosters and white rock hens.

White Rock
>chickens are easy to find, but I can't find any
>place that sells full sized, not bantam, white
>cornish chickens.

I want to work on hatching
>my own broiler chicks.

Anyone know someone who
>sells hatching eggs or chicks?

Ron

>Everyone knows about the Cornish/Rock broiler
>chicks are the offspring of white cornish
>roosters and white rock hens.

White Rock
>chickens are easy to find, but I can't find any
>place that sells full sized, not bantam, white
>cornish chickens.

I want to work on hatching
>my own broiler chicks.

Anyone know someone who
>sells hatching eggs or chicks?

Ron

Can the cobb be used for commercial production?

Frantz Etienne
 Retribution
Re: Looking for White Cornish Chickens    (Posted Wed, Nov 30 '11 at 10:58 UTC)

Hello Ron

Not sure you'll get this message but I would like to know if you ever found a place to buy White Cornish Chickens.

Thanks Chris

janchilds
 Berryville
Re: Looking for White Cornish Chickens    (Posted Sun, Dec 11 '11 at 04:31 UTC)

Chris:

I would be interested in the info. Can you please email it to me (janet at valamb dot com)

Thanks!