Urban Roots is a non-profit, youth development program that uses sustainable agriculture to transform the lives of young people and increases the healthy food access in Austin. TIn our third year, we farmed on over 3.5 acres and hired 30 teenagers to work on our urban organic farm. Urban Roots provides employment, life skills and service opportunities to youth ages 14-17 in East Austin. Youth farm interns plant, maintain, harvest, market and share a wide range of organic fruits, vegetables and herbs. In 2010, we harvested over 26,000 pounds of produce. 40% of our harvest is distributed to hunger relief organizations such as Caritas, Capital Area Food Bank, Casa Marianella and Meals on Wheels and More. The other 60% is sold at a variety of places, focusing on the Austin Farmers' Market Downtown, The Triangle, the WIC Farm Stand on Montopolis Dr. and a number of local restaurants.

Our agriculture curriculum includes hands-on training in the fields as well as workshops on soil, insects, compost, nutrition, public speaking and farmers' market training. In the summer, our farm interns work at Caritas, a no questions asked soup pantry, and the Capital Area Food Bank to give back to their community. Urban Roots engages and empowers young people to learn about hard work, to connect with the land, and to serve their community.

Urban Roots also provides volunteer opportunities for the Austin community. In the spring and summer we hold several volunteer days, which are led by our youth to further their leadership skills. Volunteers work on our farm along with youth and staff to plant, harvest, wash and provide other necessary tasks needed at that time. Volunteers also learn about the local food system and how they can support local, organic agriculture.

Listing last updated on Jan 26, 2011

Urban Roots is a youth development program that connects youth ages 14-17 to sustainable agriculture and increases the healthy food access to community members in Austin. Our youth work on our organic farm learning a number of important skills including teamwork, leadership, sustainable agriculture, $ management and how to grow their own food. We donate 40% of our produce to hunger relief organizations in Austin and sell the remaining produce at farmers' markets and local restaurants.

Season:  March through July

Type:  single farm

Since:  2010

# of Shares:  40

Full Share:  $680 for 17 weeks. Our price is slightly higher than other local CSA models to be sensitive to other farmers and to not take away any of their potential customers. Your generous support for our CSA will support the Urban Roots program to empower yo

Work Req?  No

Markets on LocalHarvest

Know a market serving this farm? Tell them to connect here on LocalHarvest!

Schedule and Location:

Austin Farmers' Market Downtown on 4th and Guadalupe, Saturdays from 9am-1pm
The Triangle Farmers' Market at the Triangle, Wednesdays from 3-7pm

Schedule and Location:

WIC Farm Stand on Montopolis Dr., Wednesday 11am-1pm

Latest Reviews

Post a Review

No reviews available. Be the first!

Upload a Photo

Drag and drop an image file here or click to browse your computer.

Photo Upload Requirements

  • File size limit of 2 MB per image.
  • Recommended image resolution is 800x600 to 1024x768 pixels.
  • Main profile images will be resized to a width of 250 px.

Cancel OK

Delete this Photo?

Warning: This cannot be undone, once deleted this image will be gone from your gallery.

Cancel OK

Set as Profile Photo

Use this photo as your main profile image?

Cancel OK

Photo Caption

Cancel OK