Make Ahead Kale/Brussel Sprouts Salad
Adapted from Real Simple, November 2018
- 1 cup hazelnuts (also known as filberts)
- 1/4 cup white balsamic or white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey (or stevia for a sugar-free version)
- 1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 large bunch red kale, ribs removed, leaves torn into bite-size pieces (about 10 cups)
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and shredded in a food processor (about 6 cups)
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 cups croutons
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Roast hazelnuts in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet until golden brown and fragrant, 8 to 12 minutes. Let cool. Rub hazelnuts between your fingers to loosen skins; discard skins (some will stick?that's OK). Transfer hazelnuts to a cutting board and roughly chop; set aside.
2. Whisk vinegar, honey, salt, mustard, and pepper in a medium bowl. Slowly whisk in oil.
3. Toss kale and Brussels sprouts with 1/4 cup dressing in a large bowl. Using your hands, massage dressing into kale mixture until leaves are slightly softened and shiny, about 2 minutes.
4. Let stand for 10 minutes. Add pomegranate seeds and remaining dressing and toss to combine. Serve immediately or refrigerate overnight.
5. Just before serving, add croutons and hazelnuts and toss to combine.
We don't have any comments on this story. Be the first to write one!
Back to the August 2019 Newsletter